Tuesday, April 6, 2010

small triumphs


I think by now you know I'm just an average mom getting up everyday & trying to manage the chaos. Some days I feel like "I am woman, hear me roar" & then others I feel like the lion left the building. Adding in my green mission has had the potential to throw the precarious balance (or multiple personalities) out of whack, but so far so good.

The most recent victory came in the form of a natural colored garment bag. I had started to pull those annoying paper shawls (you know the ones, they have the name of your dry cleaner printed on them, like you might forget) out of the pile of plastic dry cleaning bags stuffed in our bedroom trash to recycle them. Again in the interest of total disclosure, it was a mountain of plastic bags. A color came to mind, purple...the exact opposite of green! I needed a plan. Eliminating dry cleaning all together sounds about as practical as getting rid of our TVs( I have threatened this but not in the name of green). So, what else...the bags, definitely the bags. On the scene happens a multi hanger cloth garment bag. My dry cleaner lady, Katie, was very amiable to my new idea. One of these beauties hold 7 blue oxfords (joking, he wears stripes & plaid in blue as well). And a bonus I hadn't foreseen, no more paper bits proclaiming we "heart" our customers. I didn't mind the love, just the paper.

So we are on our way to being plastic & paper-free in this area, anyway. And I have been returning my hangers each week for a while now, not sure where this all puts me on the sliding scale of eco-ness. But I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment