Thursday, April 29, 2010

collingswood farmers market







So I have been trying to figure out how to get my hands on some heirloom tomato plants. Yeah, I could have grown them from seed but I spaced out. Also, I recently read about last years blight (which stalled my tomato plants as well as everyone in South Jerseys) and I'm taking the very logical advice to heart. Diversify. Works on the financial scene, why not in my back yard? It seems the opportunistic blight had an easy time spreading from plant to plant while most of the "Big Boys" hung out together in a grow house waiting to be shipped to your local Home Depot.

Several options have come to light to procure a "striped zebra" or "brandywine". Berlin farmer's market has a guy with plants all season & summer long but if you are in the know (oh-so-garden-speak-easy!)show up within the first few weeks & you can get some heirloom varieties to pump up your planting portfolio. I haven't heard of a password or special knock, just bringing some cash should do it.

This Saturday, however, I will be exploring option number one. Collingswood farmers market. Just checked out their most recent newsletter (you can too. click on the title above) and I'll be heading over bright & early. Once I have dusted off my reusable market bag, that is. A girls gotta be prepared. And prepared I am for some growers "extras". I'll keep you posted, so to speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment