Wednesday, April 7, 2010

detour

Finally, yesterday was the day. I packed my three year old & adventurous mom into the car & off we went in search of the green depot in philly. My plan was to purchase reusable sandwich bags for William's lunch & possibly some cleaners. This was not to be. First we couldn't even find the place. And my mom & I pride ourselves on a good sense of direction. We called & realize we had driven by it 3 times.

A huge building supply place on state road called Marjam (2 brothers started it, the wives started green depot) houses the pot of green. Except there wasn't any leprechaun at the end of this rainbow, just an office full of somber salesman taking calls about traditional building supplies. I'm not sure I would have been anymore uncomfortable if I was tap dancing in the nude!

Our only reprieve was in the form of a nice young lady finishing up her call. She politely asked us if we needed any help. Apparently a lot. It turns out the green depot in philly is just a showroom tucked in the back of a colossal, thriving building supply company. In the interest of follow through, we made the trek to the back of the building & up a less than welcoming stairwell. We still ended up with a few cleaning supplies (couldn't make the poor girl open up the place for nothing).

After all this effort, I was a bit bummed out. But after mulling it over, this place was still very cool indeed. If you are designing or building in the future, there are a ton of cool eco-friendly products available & why not start in our own backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment