Tuesday, April 27, 2010

back story

It's funny, I think I may have mislead you a bit. Funny ha ha or peculiar...you can be the judge. As I was brainstorming my next post, I went back to see what I've been ranting about since carving out my little corner of cyber space. I am truly all over the green map. But my journey didn't just pop up on March 18th with my first post.

So a little back story... My mom & grandmother started me on this path when I was a wee lassie ( a bit heavy huh?). Even though I wouldn't necessarily label either lovely ladies as environmentalist, both are absolutely animal-loving, naturalists. My childhood was full of animals (local & exotic) with tons of adventure walks through the woods. Nature has always been my playground. Whether camping, horseback riding or paddling down a windy river in the Pine Barrens.

And like any self respecting parent, my mom taught me manners. Beyond please & thank you, I was taught to leave a space, indoors or out, better than before I was there. To let the lake newts, my brother & I were obsessed with catching, back where we found them instead of carting 'em away in a plastic cup. Trash, on the other hand, was absolutely carted away! So you can see, from a young age it was instilled in me to be respectful of the earth & all it's animals. Even my pesky cat, Kramer, who attacked my feet as I walked by unaware. I miss that crazy cat!

So many of the lessons I learned from these smart ladies have trickled into my daily life. I now take my kids on walks through the woods & call them back from racing ahead to see a fern unfurling on the mossy ground or a tent-like nest of caterpillars. We usually pick up trash along the way. I always forget the handi wipes & a bag but we manage anyway. It's nice to take these moments together to make discoveries & enjoy ourselves.

In this blog & in my life, I am working out ways to leave this big beautiful ball of green & blue better than before I came. There is a native american belief that any action we take today will be felt for 7 generations, good or bad. I am hoping for the good for my kids & the nature walks they will take with their kids.

4 comments:

  1. tina,

    i love your writing voice! it's totally you - warm, down to earth, easygoing!

    x
    jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    You are one of my favorite people to hear a compliment from! For me or those around me. You give them so freely & sincerely, it is a gift!! So, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love jane says... just wanted to add - for good walks and great adventure w/kids www.atlasquest.com. Sites in Haddonfield (we just 'found' one) - and usually beautiful hikes along the way. We would love to team up w/your troop this summer for a new one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie,
    I was just thinking about you. Would love that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete