Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where to begin?


I'm a mom on a journey to find better ways to live a "green" life. And this blog is really just going to be an extension of the discoveries, triumphs & fumblings along the way. At least I hope so.


First fumbling...

I was inspired & motivated to start a "grown up" garden this year. Not a lonely tomato plant haphazardly slapped into a container & left to it's own devices. This was to be a patch of earth tilled with a raised bed & trellis brimming with all things edible. Yes! I have been daydreaming about it through all the record breaking blizzards this year. 78.9 inches of snow, it felt like more! Didn't it?


So, what better way to bring some green & sunshine into our house then starting the seeds indoors? Can't be that hard. I went online, read some books & asked around. My kids were as excited as I was, each morning running into our makeshift greenhouse (read laundry room here) & checkin the progress of our seedlings. Side note: Those button looking cardboard plugs of dirt used to start seeds, Do Not Overwater. Just letting you know.

The drowning of the tomatoes was not the fumbling, just a small detour. Our enthusiasm was not deter. We still had an amazing amount of sprouts pushing up. We were farmers. Or so it seemed.


The green thumb high was bought to a screeching halt this past sunday when a trusted gardener asked about my foray into suburban gardening. Well, I said beaming, we have peas, green beans, mesclun greens, carrots, beets, radishes, etc & so forth. The look on her face said it all. I braced for it. "Root vegetable can't be transplanted, you know." And there went my mojo.

2 comments:

  1. I can comment. I think you have to be signed onto blogspot. You don't have to be a blogger, just registered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just wonderful! We can't wait to see what will sprout out next.

    ReplyDelete