Wednesday, March 24, 2010

let's get real



Over some wine & outrageously, addictive snacks last night, I spoke with a group of long time friends who happen to be amazing moms. They brought up one of the biggest obstacles "living green" has to overcome. And it's a BIG one...cost. I remember watching Alice Waters (of Chez Panisse & edible schoolyard fame) on 60 minutes. Leslie Stahl directly asked her about how "real" people could afford to buy organic. I believe her response went something along the lines of.."some people spend a lot of money on shoes, leslie." You can check it out online at CBS.com.

I promise to come back to this subject again (& again & again) it is close to my heart. In the meantime, I will continue on my quest to find family friendly, cost effective & less time consuming ways to eat healthier.

3 comments:

  1. I have to add what I find to be the second greatest challenge to living truly green- time. As a working-outside-the-home mom, every second of your oh-so short evening counts. With all the dinner prep and clean-up, undoing of the day, homework, baths, redoing for the next day, gor forbid calls to return and mail to open...sometimes the only thing that keeps one on this side of a complete exhaustive collapse, is a juicebox. The ability to toss a refreshment into the arms of a melting child is unmatched in the eco-world. Not to mention the take-out packages at wegmans to follow up those days that i haven't been able to simultaneously prepare multiple meals at once while creating a powerpoint and evaluations for tomorrow's presentation.
    Wow- did I say all that out loud? What I really meant to say was, yes, this green living can have a hefty pricetag attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant to say god forbid, alhough "gor" might catch on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! Time consuming & inconvinient were also on my sleepy headed mind. Because when does one sleep with all this homework, housework, outside work, etc!

    ReplyDelete