Wednesday, March 24, 2010

paper or plastic


By now you are getting to know more about me. Some things you may like, others not so much. Let's see how this one goes.
You have probably heard the debate about plastics. Either from a new mom feeding her little love with a glass bottle or a crunchy, granola cousin extolling the evils of BPA (bisphenol A). This lovely chemical is purported to cause all sorts of nasty health issues, mostly to us ladies. Breast & uterine cancer are the scariest ones I read about.
This is what I have read. The plastics industry (including Saran wrap, which has reformulated to appear more environmentally friendly) & government agencies in the U.S. & abroad maintain that there is no serious health threat in using plastic products. Consumer & environmental groups disagree. They both agree on the lack of evidence but use this deficit to support their individual interests. Food safety experts recommend consumers proceed cautiously when using plastic wraps to cover food while heating in the microwave, the two shall not touch. Because here's a little note of monkey business. The FDA acknowledges that chemical compounds can leech into food at microwave temperatures from plastic.

This is what I know. I will continue to use BPA free plastic containers to store leftovers because using a plastic bag seems wasteful on a few fronts. I will try really hard to remember not to heat the suckers up in the microwave ( even when the container says microwave safe). Who knows if I can get the whole household on board with this or keeping the dirty, little recycle-ables out of the dishwasher. (Again think heat, leech, yuck!) My husband hates doing dishes only slightly less than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment