Sunday, March 28, 2010


Recently at a dinner party with a very funny cast of characters, I asked if anyone knew that there are male & female cucumber plants. As you can imagine, the responses were all over the board. From sincere to downright raunchy. After the ruckus died down, I explained that I had been present for a conversation in which an experienced gardener consulted a newbie on the lack of fruit from her cucumber plants. The problem had been beautiful blossoms but no fruit. In the words of this obi-wan of all things green, you have to have male & female plants or they won't bear fruit.
Well, I am here to clear up the confusion. Yes, cucumbers have both male & female blossoms on the same vine. The male flowers develop first, grow quickly & drop without bearing fruit . The next flowers will be a combo of male & female, these are pollinated and, hopefully, will bear fruit. So while my source was technically right, she was also wrong. There was likely another problem, watering or sun, maybe. But I'm no obi-wan. Just a newbie trying to get her cucumbers to reach maturity & not talk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment