Sunday, April 3, 2011









I gotta tell ya when life can be so crazy; I love the refuge I find in my little garden plot. Nursing stiff muscles and cleaning the dirt out from under my nails is so worth a couple hours puttering around in the sun. It’s like a vitamin D shot and therapy all wrapped up in 4 x 8 plot. Add the kids and the laughter abounds.

Since I am still a newbie to this gardening gig, I make mistakes constantly. But the wonderful surprises are always worth the flubs. Like the chives and scallions popping up, who knew when I left them for dead that they would reappear. Recently I read that the only months of rest for a gardener in our area is January and February, huh? Seems a bit extreme to me but a goal I now have put on the list. I believe it was noted in the same publication that St Patty’s day is the traditional pea planting day. I’d like to say I was drinking green beer instead, but I am sure my slacker, smidgeon o’ Irish self was huddled indoors away from the frigid wind.

My peas are in now. That counts for something, right? They are in earlier this year than last and I have to be up for bonus points; Will planted them. Actually both kids were involved with getting our garden started this year.

A break in the weather had all three of us out in the sun digging weeds and some overzealous cilantro (I had no idea how far it would spread). Once we got all the enemies out; chives, scallions, a smaller bit of cilantro, rhubarb, lemon balm and a lone strawberry plant awaited some new companions.

Amending the soil had to be Elise’s favorite part. As I sprinkled on an organic fertilizer, she kept trying to catch it. Then we added more organic soil on top (not sure if more went into the garden or Elise’s shoes) and raked the two together; and not a moment too soon.

Both kids were chomping at the bit to plant something! Will earned the right to plant the peas for all his hard work re-stringing the trellis. The look on his face was a wonderful mix of surprise (Mom is really going to let me?) and accomplishment. The trellis looks perfect and we are all looking forward to snapping peas off the vines at the end of May.

In the end, we planted two kinds of beets, white and red radishes, multi colored swiss chard, two kinds of carrots, mesclun greens, lettuce and of course, Will’s peas. The three of us were filthy, in desperate need of bathing but very happy gardeners!

2 comments:

  1. we never had luck with carrots! But, radishes, those are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those carrots are trouble but our radishes and mesclun are already popping up. It amazes me every time!

    ReplyDelete