Thursday, February 24, 2011

.

Headed to the big city this weekend and that means Union Square Market. I am downright giddy at the prospect of leisurely perusing all manners of produce, plants (yes, there is a pop-up greenhouse filled with many colorful, potted choices) and vendors galore selling meats, cheeses, eggs, honey & lots more. Don't even get me started on the bread. Oh, the bread! I am truly thankful for the opportunity to be in one of my all time favorite places, cold weather be darned. I am even packing a cooler to stash all my great finds to share with those I love back at the homestead.
Last year, I was able to pick up some great information about composting. A list of do's & don’ts that has been a great kitchen reference for my family. It was a bit funny to be in such a metropolis & find out about such a dirty process. Well, on second thought, maybe not. Lots of dirty things happen in the city, right? Wink, wink.
My budget for a hotel is usually very low. Just a place to hang my hat, as I am out & about most of the time. This time I got lucky. A while ago, my husband & I attended a great benefit for some amazing people and won two nights in NYC. Yeah!
So this time around it’s high style & a sleep concierge for me. While obsessively checking out the hotel website, I found some green good news as well. The Benjamin is one of five certified Ecotel hotels in the US. Apparently, they have been environmentally aware & responsible long before it became "fashionable".
The subway has mocked me for years on most of my previous visits. But I was lucky enough to get a hand-holding lesson from a good friend the last go round. I don't know if it was my fear of getting on the wrong train or the images from all the movies I have watched but I wasn't able to get over this obstacle in all my years of crisscrossing “the big apple”. But now I am armed with a metro card, so watch out Manhattan.
To wrap up…local food in an open air market (cold air is good for you right?), a selection of pillows in an eco friendly hotel, walking & subway riding instead of cabs...I think I have myself a downright green getaway! Now if I could just get over my fear of buses (another story for another time!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment