Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mucking about

The best part of going green is the learning process. Really, it is for me anyway. Sometimes the trial & error can be downright demoralizing but most often the rewards are rich with the knowledge of muddling through by myself.
I have experienced this in so many ways since embarking on my green adventure. From starting seeds indoors (I had no idea root vegetables couldn’t be transplanted!) to learning more about food labels (“natural” is a marketing tool & not to be confused with organic). And it seems like every day I glean a new piece of advice or information to layer on my basic building blocks. They are small but hard won blocks, people!
Take this morning, for example. I now receive an email from Organic Gardening once a week. I LOVE this. Not only does it save paper, but I don’t have to page through numerous advertisements just to procure the tip about cold weather composting I am interested in. So, with a couple clicks I learned to NOT run out back & turn my compost pile. I was itching to do just that as I started to read about the fact that my compost heap should be warm inside, despite the cold. Thankfully my ADD (self diagnosed, of course) didn’t hit high gear & I was able to stay put & read all the way to the end. If I had run out there & started mucking about, I would have messed with the balance of my precious blend of kitchen scraps & shredded newspaper disturbing the microorganisms working hard to turn it into “gardener’s gold”. Crisis averted. I am still totally intrigued to see if I did this whole thing right. But I guess I will have to wait for warmer weather to see the proof in the pudding.

Here's the link to learn more about composting.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/cold-weather-compost?cm_mmc=OGNews-_-2011_02_16-_-learnandgrow-_-cold_weather_compost

1 comment:

  1. Oh we have been saying we were going to start composting for forever. I, too, suffer from self-diagnosed ADD, and have managed to half-compost (I.e. Put a bowl on my counter fill it with rubbish with the intention of putting in imaginary compost pile. Instead I end up pitching it, because it has no where to go!).

    ReplyDelete