Tuesday, May 4, 2010

knowledge is power

Just back from a jaunt to my local library. Very fruitful trip. Books & the words in them feed my soul almost as well as a meal cooked with love. I typically like to own the book I'm reading. Not sure why exactly, maybe it's the feeling of seeing all I have read on my bookshelves or to be able to lend my most recent favorite to a friend. Hmmm, let's put the inner workings of my brain aside, otherwise we could be here awhile.

So, I borrowed an armful of books (one of the R's by the by- reuse) & put a copy of FOOD, INC. on hold. The books are for my bedstand (check it out over yonder->) or if I'm really lucky (mother's day is coming) an afternoon spent in the hammock. Just the thought of luxuriating under the shade of my big oak tree relaxed my shoulders a bit. Ah.

FOOD, INC. by the way, is a life changing documentary. I had the opportunity to watch it last night with a like minded friend. We were both moved to tears at one point & had to cover our eyes several other times. If you were like me & procrastinating the sit down with this eye opener, I totally get it. I also realize I'm not motivating you any better, yet. But hold on...in the end this movie is all about the power. Not the power only 4 meatpacking companies have over virtually all of us in the U.S. but the power we, as consumers, have over our food chain. It was truly inspiring to know that I get to vote "three times a day" with "every bite". In the end, I came away with a more clear sense of mission. A connecting-of-the-dots happened in this visually rich hour & a half I hadn't grasped until last night. So,watch out big business, there is a food revolution coming to town & I am a card carrying member!

No comments:

Post a Comment