Tuesday, December 28, 2010

the big backslide


































Wow, we are so far away from the bounty of august. My little plot of dirt is just that, dirt. Well, really frozen dirt. And visions of heirloom tomatoes are a long way off. So what does a green girl wanna- be do during the long winter months? Backslide. I mean come on…the excess of the holidays, the chill in the air. I have to confess…my countertop composter has been idle (Tom has been using it way more than I, if that tells you anything!) and we really don’t even want to lift the lid on the backyard composter, yuck! My food choices haven’t been all organic & local, more like convenient carbs (read: cookies). And I did send holiday cards. Call me old fashioned or consumerist but I like getting & receiving Christmas cards. Generally they are a big fat waste of time, energy, money & paper. But come on, who could pass up showing off their kids or dog, even if most of my cards haven’t even been sent…yet. And to top it off, I wrapped my presents in a mountain of paper, coordinated paper but still paper that will end up best case scenario in a recycling plant, worst… a dump. There is no doubt that a true blue “greenie” would have me drawn & quartered for all my digressions. But just like a diet or new exercise regiment, there are often times false starts. The guilt associated with this backslide, however, is huge. And here’s my take on why…the only way to feel guilt is to be aware of wrong doing, right? So with good old-fashioned, glass half-full sensibility, I am once again getting back on the horse, setting my cart on the straight & narrow, making a fresh start…need I keep going with the list of clichés? I think you got the point.
The New Year for me is always a chance to start anew. So with restored energy & curiosity, I am once again delving into the great, green unknown to find healthy answers for my family & Mother Nature. At this point, I can only be thankful for the progress I have made & all the amazing support bestowed upon my by some pretty great people. I am always awed by the power of friendship & the way the universe works.

So Happy New Year & Happy Clean Slate!

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I am so glad to read that I am not the only one! The last couple months have been a major backslide for us too- with all the holiday preparations and budding traditions, I didn't have time to cook as much, so oganic foods from our CSA have gone to waste in our fridge- something I NEVER would have let happen over the summer! I also sent Christmas cards- because I love getting them too! And the worst offense.....when we had too much going on and our small kitchen was cluttered and crazy, I PUT PLASTIC BOTTLES IN THE GARBAGE and did not run them to the basement. FOR SHAME.
    So I hear ya', and I'm jumping back on the wagon with you!
    p.s. I still have some cookies to eat though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Thanks for letting me know I am not alone! I, too, shoved bottles in the trash in the interest of time & energy. Whew...confessions feel good. Now we can move on, right?

    ReplyDelete